SBS World News presenter Anton Enus has opened up about his despair following his diagnosis with bowel cancer.
The South-African-born media personality made the shocking revelation in a personal essay published in the Sydney Morning Herald on Thursday, including details of the harrowing moment that doctors broke the news to the 55-year-old and his partner Roger Henning.
“As we left the consulting room and walked back towards the hospital reception I broke down, engulfed in a spasm of loud sobbing,” he penned.
“It had all become too much. Out of control. Unpredictable. Scary. I wanted my health back. I stood there with my head on Roger’s shoulder in a state of the purest despair.”
After going through radiation, chemotherapy and surgery which saw him lose a significant portion of his bowel, the gay-rights activist celebrated the end of his treatment last month.
Taking to Twitter to mark the occasion, he shared a cheerful video of himself ringing a bell in a hospital ward.
“Day 30 of 30 in radiation and chemotherapy. Never happier to mark the moment,” he wrote.
Enus, who says he was fortunate his cancer was detected so early, is now urging others to make sure they get tested for the disease.
“About two-thirds of eligible people choose not to complete the sample test in the bowl cancer screening program,” he said.
“Two out of three! It’s hard to believe people could be so cavalier about something so fundamental.”
“Just do it. It could save your life,” he added. “I reckon it saved mine."
You might also like…