- Spritz BEFORE you dive in. Always apply a leave-in-conditioner before you swim in the pool or the ocean as this coats the strands preventing them from soaking up the moisture-zapping chlorinated or salty water. A spray is the most convenient but if you forget then jump under an outdoor shower before you dive in as this will at least prevent too much of the drying water entering the hair shaft.
We love: Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Coconut Oil Leave-In Conditioner, $12.99, palmersaustralia.com
- Use a hair mask. The extra moisture your locks receive from a weekly mask will not only keep them feeling soft but add shine and boost growth. It doesn’t have to be a long one, there are plenty on the market for under 10 minutes. And if you are stuck, you can always use coconut oil from the pantry which is loaded with fatty acids and will deliver great results too.
We love: Hask Moisturising Deep Conditioner – Macadamia Oil, $4.99, hask.com.au
- Limit hot tool use. Hot, humid days are the perfect time to ditch the hairdryer. Apply a frizz-preventing serum and let locks air dry or slick back into a pony tail. Wearing a head scarf or a hat will preserve colour for longer too. We love: Essano Argan Oil Hair Recovery Serum, $15.99, essano.com.au
- Update your hairdryer. When you do reach for a hot tool make sure you're using the new technology, moisture-infusing type that protects your hair will it dries. But don’t forget to still spray a heat-protectant on damp locks before you begin.
We love: Remington Pro-Air Turbo, $49.95, remington-products.com.au
- Cold rinse. Turn down the heat in the shower (your skin will thank you as well) and if possible make the last rinse a cold one as it’ll give your hair extra shine. Use a wide- tooth comb as this will prevent breakage. Remember wet hair is at its most vulnerable.
We love: Rock & Ruddle Wide Tooth Comb, $21.95, davidjones.com.au